Registering a Kindle DX with Amazon in 2023 - UK edition
Posted by Howard Richardson (comments: 0)
Amazon tech support would have you believe that it's impossible to register and use your "unsupported" Kindle DX or DX Graphite, but with a little effort it can be made to fully work, including the free Whispernet 3G as long as that stays switched on in the UK.
Here's what I did to make this a reality:
- If you can deregister your kindle and empty it without a factory reset, this is preferable. Factory resetting the kindle will cause an internal clock reset which will make your kindle unable to connect to anything on the net. To get round this error you will need the following jailbreak. If you manage to avoid the factory reset, you may be able to skip ahead to step 12 below.
- If your kindle has been factory reset by the seller, or you have found it necessary reset it yourself, you will need all the following steps.
- You will need to jailbreak your kindle. For all of the patches and jailbreaks below, the kindle DX Graphite (what I have) needs the version of the file which contains either the letters dxg or B009. (When you have a choice between a file called install and one called uninstall obviously we need the install one!) To install a patch or jailbreak copy the correct .bin file to the root directory of the kindle via USB, then go to settings menu on the kindle. From settings menu choose Update This Kindle.
- First apply both OS updates from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GKMQC26VQQMM8XSW
- Then jailbreak using the jailbreak at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004
- Add in USB Network hack, also from the same place.
- Connect via USB.
- On Kindle home screen enter:
- ;debugON [then ↵] (this begins with semicolon - use Symbols key)
- `usbNetwork [then ↵] (this begins with backtick - use Symbols key)
(eg. 3rd April 2023 19:00h would be date 040319002023.) It should repeat back to you the correct date and time.